Thursday, August 25, 2022

Green Lakes State Park NYS (for SkyWatch Friday)

I've heard of them; 
people write about their visits to Green Lakes in New York State...
but we had never been there.
~ Until now ~



They are crystal clear ... and green ... and blue ... and turquoise ... and stunning.
When the sun is on the water, the colors are even richer.
The water seems backlit.

The Green Lakes are meromictic; they have no seasonal lake mixing. This is why they are crystal clear, deeply reflect blues and greens, and ancient life still lives in them. Since they are meromictic (no mixing of layers) they are two of the most studied lakes in the world, especially Round Lake which is 195' deep. 

Round lake is one of 11 meromictic lakes in the USA and one of 30 in the world. I am so grateful to God that we got 3 beautiful, blue sky days two weeks ago, to see Green Lakes and hike the forested trails around them. They even have "forest therapy" walks that you can sign up for... They are protected waters, for obvious reasons. No other water craft besides those that belong to NYS can be used.


I want to go back to Green Lakes State Park every year... maybe more than once a year.
It's amazing what you discover right in your own state!


Wishing you Joy!
    ~ Maria

Enjoy more beautiful photos there!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, these are awesome! Yes, I would want to return to these lakes on a regular basis if I had them in my area. Hope to see future pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwww Maria……beautiful nature…I wish I was there too …love from me and Leaf 🍀💚🍀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so incredibly beautiful and unique. Thanks for sharing.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing information. Why haven't I ever heard of them? They are beautiful and important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravilhosas imagens!
    Beautiful!
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments add sunshine to my day~