Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Fragrance Remains


Valentine's Day is also about Friendship.


On Sunday, I came home from church and found
these in a box on my front porch rocker.

Ruth, a dear friend of mine,
heard about my little tree that stays up through February.
how
I put all my "love" ornaments on it.

hearts ~ doves ~ teacups ~ roses

She heard how
when Timber came to visit last month...
he pulled on an ornament and the whole tree tipped over
it sounded like a shelf at Tiffany's breaking into a million pieces.

Ruth heard how
Rachael and I spent the afternoon gluing and taping what we could
and how
most of it was "saved"
except for the beautiful hand-painted rosebud ornament on the bottom.

I've known Ruth for decades.
She and her husband, Joe, are amazing artists.
She surprised me with an ornament that she painted with roses...
a sweet heart pillow and a clear heart to hold the broken pieces of the original.
On the new heart ornament I will write the name of 
The original rose ornament was broken just before the shooting there.
My husband, Chris, wrote about it {here}

Thank you so much Ruth ~ you are so sweet and thoughtful.
“The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.”

14 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Love that last quote, so true...and what a nice friend! :D

Anonymous said...

God gives us family, friends and dogs to show us about love. I know God Loves me because He puts people like you in my life .Thank you for who you are in Him . Love Ruth

Teresa said...

How Sweet is that Maria!
And how CUTE is Timber!!!! ;o)
I thought you were coming my way for SOUP! ;o)
Love and HUGS Sweet Girl!
I just know that BIRDIE necklace looks so sweet on your sweet neck!
xoxoxoxo

myletterstoemily said...

what a precious friend you have! my prayers
go out for the poor family who lost their
beloved daughter.

Barb said...

A wonderful friend, indeed. Timber looks like he's sorry...

It's me said...

What a wonderful friend !! Maria.......have a lovely day darling ......with joy and love Ria......xxx...

Diana said...

What a thoughtful friend Maria. I love the heart that you can put the broken pieces into.
And that last quote was beautiful!
Love Di ♥

Wanda..... said...

Such a nice post to start my day with, Maria... and thanks for the overnight friendship valentine you left in a comment to me! :)

koralee said...

How thoughtful is that!!! What a special friend. Sending you oodles of love today....and a little reminder that tomorrow is FRIDAY {already}
Thank you for your sweet friendship my friend....can't wait until the day we meet! xoxoxoxox

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Somehow it slipped my attention that you are letting your little tree out throughout February. I like this idea, Maria, a lot. A tree of life and love!
The sentence at the bottom of your lovely post is beautiful.
My stroopwafel is all gone. The chocolates are still here! I believe my choc stock is always up to date!!
Love and hugs for a lovely Thursday, I am sending some sunbeams across the ocean blue and some kisses too xxxxx

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Somehow it slipped my attention that you are letting your little tree out throughout February. I like this idea, Maria, a lot. A tree of life and love!
The sentence at the bottom of your lovely post is beautiful.
My stroopwafel is all gone. The chocolates are still here! I believe my choc stock is always up to date!!
Love and hugs for a lovely Thursday, I am sending some sunbeams across the ocean blue and some kisses too xxxxx

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Sorry Maria, my fingers were a bit too fast ... my patience a bit too little xxxx

Wanda said...

Oh my what a beautiful friendship. Is there anything better than the purest of friendships sharing, and having a giving heart to replace your broken ornament. You are a special friend....with so many special friends. Love reading all the comments. And also your husbands' words.

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

I'm glad I didn't miss this post...what a sweet friend you have. I love the idea of the heart to hold the pieces. This must have really brightened your day and reading it brightened mine!