Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Make a Mini Book

Twice a year my students make a mini-book.

In January, they make a mini-book based on a book they read in December.
*
April is Poetry month and they make a poetry mini-book that highlights six poetic elements:
simile, metaphor, imagery, alliteration, personification, repetition

We have so much fun making them and sharing them!
Here are two examples from January
...and the other one...
I was going to make my own video...
but thought I'd check YouTube first.
and Voilà 
Crayola had already created a video showing how to make the mini-book.
I actually learned something new ~ how to make little pockets for the mini-book. 


I think I'll make some mini-books for my nieces and tuck
little Auntie Maria notes in the pockets!

{Thinking of some of you with grandchildren or lil' ones of your own}
You'll have fun making them, no matter your age

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love mini books...I have several I make with my students. Have you ever done a paper bag book?...so so much fun. Just made out of a paper bag...easy and simple and has little pockets you can put extra little pull out tags . Yours look amazing...oh creative one. I think your class would be so much fun to be in. xoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing such an easy way to make little books, Maria. Can't wait to make one with Alivia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the spot...How fun this will be. I love finding new creative ways to display their artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shared that link with another friend who loves this kind of stuff. I will be making one with my grandson on the Paralympics.
    Thanks loads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea, Maria! How much fun it will be making these mini-books. I will definitely give it a try. Perhaps my children can glue their favorite flowers or all kinds of tractors (for the boys..) in it.
    My children go to a (Steiner) Waldorf School, do you know this type of Education? I think making these cute mini-books would fit perfect in the curriculum!
    Have a lovely day, sweet Maria. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty neat Maria. And your students are pretty artistic! I will have to do this with Sarah! Thank you.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet, Maria!
    I have really enjoyed my visit...I'll be back!
    Happy day!
    Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you know I needed a fresh craft idea? Five of my little Grands ages 7 to 2 will be visiting Grammy and Pop Pop in Breckenridge this weekend. I think the mini books will be a hit! (Your students' work is very inspiring.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria, What a really fun idea. Your students books were very colorful and full! They must have learned a lot! Thank you for the great video from Crayola. I watched the whole thing! I am going on a girl's getaway to Savannah on Sunday and wouldn't this be a fun idea to give each of the ladies on the plane to decorate and fill while are in Savannah. So cute!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had so much fun showing my friends this link....We are all making little books for our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments add sunshine to my day~